Saturday, August 19, 2006

For my parents

Light
image from internet

For my parents


Today, I should be writing stuff like, my blog is a year old, I'm glad I took up blogging, etc, etc. But I did not. Somehow, I keep thinking about my parents. Yes, they were gone, and maybe this being the Chinese 7th Month, my thoughts turned to them.

Back then, they believed that their children should at least be given a decent education. And I am are thankful for that.

My father was a construction worker, later a building sub-contractor. He built some of the offices, schools and homes of this country. I followed him around for a while and knew how tough the job can be.

That is what I remembered him. Tough, yet gentle. Those calloused hands that hammered nails in the hot sun could produce calligraphy so fine on delicate rice paper. Who can forget a father waiting with his son, in the pre-dawn at a bus stop, so that this ten year old kid can safely get on a bus to school? Or the time as a young rebel, I came home after a fight, face all bruised and shirt torn, and he did not say a word but took some oil and rubbed on those wounds. The gesture hurts more than the physical pain.

And my mother, the home keeper, made sure that all of us have a decent meal daily, despite the meagre money they had. Praying to the gods to protect and bless us. she would teach us to be compassionate and humble. In her later life, a stroke incapacipate her, but she never lost her will to live. On the day she died, I was in the ambulance with her, holding her frail hands, wishing that I could have spent more time with her when I was younger.

So all their children had a good education, my siblings are doing very well. Which brings me back to this blog. I would not be able to write this, if not for the foundation my parents built. So, Mum, if you are still alive, you may not understand what I wrote here, but you would have smiled and given me the thumbs up.

********

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I remember the poem you wrote about your dad - it was a good one, my friend.

20 August, 2006 19:23  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hi gilbert,
thanks!
yeah, it made it to QLRS. :)

20 August, 2006 22:09  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Thumbs up to you dsnake1...

21 August, 2006 20:29  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, plus!
now that we are parents ourselves, we can understand what they had gone through when they are raising us.

21 August, 2006 20:55  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

You've been so blessed to have experienced so much love in your life. This is a lovely testimonial from a son to a parent. I enjoy so much reading about your life in your poems, very simple and heartfelt.

Thanks for sharing :)

22 August, 2006 02:05  
Blogger floots said...

smile and thumbs up from me too
cheers

22 August, 2006 14:11  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

What better to way to celebrate the anniversary of your blog. Excellent post!!

22 August, 2006 19:34  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

medusa, floots and pat,
thank you, guys! :)

22 August, 2006 21:46  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

What a wonderful post. I'm sure they are very proud of what you've accomplished.

25 August, 2006 21:34  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, liz!

27 August, 2006 00:07  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Hi, go to my comments on your Haiku

27 August, 2006 16:18  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

i have, thank you so much for those insightful thoughts! :)

27 August, 2006 21:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful- memories keep them alive in you always
(I wrote about remembering my grandmother in my post recently "Stairway to Heaven.")
Take care
(I'm here via Floots' site, but I think I used to read you on BlueSky Liz's site and lost the link!)

29 August, 2006 15:17  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hi **silvermoon**gel!
Thanks for your kind words.

yes, i have read your post "Stairway to Heaven". It is an excellent one, very touching.

30 August, 2006 08:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home