Monday, March 10, 2014

geography lessons

I have posted this before, but I think it is a fun poem and should be shared again.
When I was in secondary school (and that was a loong time ago), geography was one of my favourite subjects, though I was in the so-called Science classes, where the priority was on Physics and Mathematics. I guessed I was a mixed-up student.

And then along the way I ended up liking poetry. :)






image by dsnake1




geography lessons


I loved geography lessons
not most of my class.
Our teacher Mr. Newton from Texas
drawled in an accent that's hypnotic
and lured some of the guys to sleep,
not me.
And poor Mr. Newton won't know
what to do with them,
he couldn't throw a chalk at the deadbeats
not like Mr Tan of Physics class.
So I paid attention
and was quite good,
knew that Bikini was a nuked island
and oxbows were not weapons,
while most of them
fidgeted in their chairs, chewed gum
and hoped that Miss Pang
the sexy literature teacher
would walk past,
just some slight distraction.
And we had a guy
we called Chairman Mao
who would debate fervently
with Mr. Newton
the virtues of communism
over the capitalist pigs,
the proletarian will triumph
over the bourgeoisie
and the whole damn class
would groan
and wish for recess.



27/07/06
********









"How do you find America?"
"Turn left at Greenland.”
-- Media question to The Beatles during their first U.S. tour, 1964



Shared on Poetry Pantry No. #192 at Poets United.






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2014

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

ha. its cool when a teacher can make a subject come alive...there were def a few classes that i hoped the pretty teacher would walk by...and even had a few of those debates with teachers that made me want recess...or to cry...ha

10 March, 2014 00:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Oh yes, he was a very good teacher. The school had an exchange program with some overseas schools, and we had teachers from the UK, USA and France. It was quite an enriching experience.

and some debates were, well, all waiting for recess. :)

10 March, 2014 00:26  
Blogger Sumana Roy said...

enjoyed this thoroughly.. :D

10 March, 2014 00:35  
Blogger Claudia said...

smiles... that brought back some memories of school days as well... i found geography interesting as well...hated math though... ha...and we had no sexy teachers.. sigh

10 March, 2014 01:36  
Blogger Mary said...

I loved reading the description of your teachers. You had quite a collection. It must have been quite an experience watching the two teachers debate; and it does not seem like it was a friendly debate either!! I am glad you shared this poem.

10 March, 2014 01:43  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

You were likely the bright light in that teacher's day! Well done, you took me back to those endless days of classes.

10 March, 2014 04:24  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sumana,

thank you! :)


Claudia,

thanks for visiting! i hated maths too, though i had to pass it, and somehow i did. :D


Mary,

oh yes, we had quite an interesting group of characters. but there was one thing common among them, and that it was their passion to teach. i was lucky to be guided by them. :)


Sherry,

ah, you were once a teacher. :)

10 March, 2014 22:36  
Blogger rallentanda said...

Unlike you I spent most of my school days daydreaming looking out of a window
I am most grateful to the teachers for not disturbing my reverie:)

11 March, 2014 11:19  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

lucky you! you have kind and understanding teachers. if i try to even half daydreaming, a piece of flying chalk will soon find my face. :D

11 March, 2014 23:43  
Blogger marit said...

nostalgic and sweet. thanks :)

12 March, 2014 01:30  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

marit, thank you! :)

12 March, 2014 22:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home