Monday, December 08, 2014

urban snapshots in monochrome : wing

When I was starting on this blog, I wrote a series of short poems called "urban snapshots in monochrome". These were based on snippets of images I came across, mostly during my journeys to and from work. Why "monochrome"? I will not tell you. :)

I am very busy with work, so I will just make do with this old post this week.





drawing by dsnake1




urban snapshots in monochrome : wing




a torn wing
snapped
like a black scythe
on wet asphalt
       in parking lot

somewhere a crow
will not fly
or is dead.


18.03.2006
**********







Shared on Poetry Pantry #230 at Poets United.


The image is a ink and pencil sketch on paper, and then scanned.






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2014

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Natašek said...

very raw and dark

08 December, 2014 01:40  
Blogger Mary said...

I do feel sorry for the wingless crow. How painful it must have been...whatever caused its loss!

08 December, 2014 02:51  
Blogger brudberg said...

Indeed a snapshot.. just a wing is not good for the crow.

08 December, 2014 05:08  
Blogger C.C. said...

I like this idea of urban snapshots in monochrome.....and also the image you have woven with your words here about a crow that either will not fly or is dead somewhere. It's thoughtful and a little bit eerie.

08 December, 2014 05:43  
Blogger Susan said...

Almost surrealistic. A very fine and sad snap.

08 December, 2014 06:11  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh poor crow! Hope work eases up for you, my friend.

08 December, 2014 07:16  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Natasa,

ah, yes! :)


Mary,

it must be the crow cullers. once there are complaints, these shooters will be around to take the crows out.


Bjorn,

it's really pitiful. the wing did give me a fright that day. :(


C.C.,

yes, it is a series of short poems of urban observations. i may post the rest of them later on. :)


Susan,

now that you said it, yes, it does look a bit surreal. :)


Sherry,

i know you will feel for the crow. me too.
about the work in the office, i see no let-up in the coming weeks. always looking forward to the weekends. :D

08 December, 2014 23:19  
Blogger Myrna R. said...

I like this and can see why you call it snapshots. That's what it felt like in my mind. I like your drawing very much.

09 December, 2014 01:30  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Myrna, thanks for the visit!
is it because the poem is short and stark? and yes, i like to do pencil/ink sketches. :)

09 December, 2014 22:36  
Blogger magiceye said...

Loved the illustration and the terrific verse!

10 December, 2014 00:56  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, my friend! so glad to hear from you. :)

10 December, 2014 07:10  
Blogger Justin Lamb said...

I enjoyed this post. Not only do I prefer short or "snapshot" poems, I also really like the drawing. Well done.

12 December, 2014 06:51  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, Justin. I, too, am leaning towards shorter poems, maybe it's my short attention span. :)

12 December, 2014 23:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home