Sunday, January 28, 2018

teddy bear

There is only so much grief we can take. The rest are kept for other days...



image from pixabay





teddy bear


another year already?
your teddy bear sits
alone
on the dressing table
among the combs and cologne.

today i was at the temple
offering incense to you.
silent
i have not heard your voice
for the past two decades.

the man staring back
from the dark glass
has aged.
you may not know him
as the one you had loved.

a mynah lands on the
aircon unit outside.
looks at me
perhaps to ride the rain
perhaps to see me weep.





05/02/2015
28/01/2018
**********


This poem featured at Poets United on February 26, 2018.





“...the sun rose each morning to stare into my face with the blank but touching gaze of a lovely retarded child.”

― James Crumley, The Last Good Kiss


and a song for the day : Dire Straits - On Every Street






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2018

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Oh, this is such a thoughtful and touching poem! I understand completely. I have some old toys and dolls as well. It saddens me to look at them and contemplate the passing of time.

29 January, 2018 22:22  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so moving, Lee San. Heartbreaking. A child's death is more tragic than any other. Sometimes our memories just break our hearts all over again.

30 January, 2018 01:33  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Mary,

old toys and dolls, they are like friends and companions. looking at them, as they yellowed and frayed, we know we have aged. :)



Sherry,

thank you, Sherry. yes, sometimes our memories just break our hearts all over again. as this loss of my spouse.

30 January, 2018 13:21  
Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Memories: in your poem, bittersweet. Yet the poet's pen is sweet release. Give thanks for your gift of poetry Cheong san

much love...

30 January, 2018 20:54  
Blogger totomai said...

Oh wow, I felt a lump on my throat. The teddy bear sitting with colognes / combs is a perfect description on things we ignore or a representation of a memory. Hope is all well :)

31 January, 2018 01:09  
Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Our old toys are like childhood memories which we hold dear and cherish!💞

31 January, 2018 01:09  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Gillena,

so glad to see you.
yes, perhaps writing about it could ease some of the pain.


totomai,

thank you.
i'm good. :)


Sanaa,

thank you! :)

31 January, 2018 13:25  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Lee San, I did not realize this poem was about the loss of your spouse. Truly heartbreaking, with a sorrow that becomes a part of us. I tried emailing you but am not sure if you received my email. Would you please email me at wildwomantwo@gmail.com ? I have a question for you.

02 February, 2018 03:20  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Hi Sherry,

I did receive your mail earlier. i just sent out a reply. sorry for this tardiness. :)

02 February, 2018 23:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home